Capital Gains Tax Advisor Services

Photo of Stuart Thomson Managing Director

Capital Gains Tax (CGT) applies to the sale of most capital assets in the UK. It can have a large impact and the complex legislation requires careful navigation to avoid traps and your minimise taxes.

Our Capital Gains Tax (CGT) Advice

We’ve been able to help clients to substantially reduce their CGT using:

  • Relief for primary residences
  • Roll over reliefs
  • Re-investment reliefs
  • Exemptions from CGT
  • Negligible value claims
  • Entrepreneurs relief and other business exits
  • Indexation allowance for companies (now limited to assets acquired prior to 2018)

We recommend you seek our advice prior to the sale of a valuable asset.

Capital Gains Tax Advice Case Study 1) : Mr and Mrs W

The problem

Mr and Mrs W wanted to give away assets to their children. There was a very complex history surrounding the family home, part of which was lived in by one child.

The property had been redeveloped and expanded and contained additional development land. Mr and Mrs W wanted to understand capital gains position so they could adjust their gift using other assets.

How we helped

We reviewed the history of ownership and beneficial interest in the property along with the different uses and developments to the site.

The result

Mr and Mrs W received a complex capital gains calculation setting out the various parameters and key factors so that the future estate planning could be undertaken.

Capital Gains Tax Advice Case Study 2) The T Family

The problem

The T Family called us as they were about to exchange on the purchase of their new home. But their solicitor had advised they had to pay an additional £5,000 because there was a granny annex to the property.

How we helped

We reviewed the proposed purchase and the property and concluded that Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) was incorrect and it should instead be reduced by £68,000.

The result

HMRC approved the SDLT return saving £73,000.

Contact us to minimise or start planning to reduce your Capital Gains Tax.