J Stuart Thomson MA ACA MCT ATT Certs CII(MP&ER)
- Chartered Accountant (Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland)
- Associate Chartered Accountant (Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales)
- MCT – Member of Association of Corporate Treasurers
- ATT – Association of Tax Technicians
- Certs CII (MP & ER) – Qualified mortgage advisor and equity release advisor
- Qualified Probate advisor
- Stuart has the commercial experience and the technical understanding to add value at all stages in a transaction including:
- Conception e.g. strategic options analysis, target identification, business efficiency reviews.
- Implementation e.g. transactional assistance, modelling, investor relations, fund raising road shows.
- Post transaction activity e.g. new system implementation, integration plans, reporting and management improvements.
- He as an experienced eye for business improvement opportunities through:
- Tax planning
- Fund raising
- Strategic input
- Business management.
- He provides formal and informal advice to help clients achieve their goals, however ambitious.
- Graduating from the University of Edinburgh, he qualified as a Chartered Accountant with a Big 4 firm and moved into corporate finance, specialising in infrastructure and property projects. In 2003 Stuart was head hunted to run the newly formed private equity arm of the William Pears Group.
- Stuart joined Johnsons in 2015 to bring his expertise of growing, managing and turning around business to smaller businesses where advisory solutions have been limited focussing on compliance. He has experience as an investor in and as a CFO of businesses. He has worked in media, property and infrastructure, education and private equity. Stuart prides himself in thinking out of the box and solving client’s problems.
- In 2008 he became the group CFO of Met Film, a private equity funded media and education group based in Ealing Studios where he restructured the business tripling revenues and improving profitability. In 2013 Stuart left to start his own consultancy before joining Johnsons in 2015.
- He has been involved in many high profile transactions including :
- Advising on the restructuring of Railtrack into Network Rail,
- The first refinancing of a PFI hospital
- The debt restructuring of Croydon Tramlink
- The development and financing of the largest primary care centre in England
- The privatisation of NATS
- Secured an R&D tax credit relief of around £1m generating unexpected cash inflow of £200,000. (The previous accountant did not feel this was possible)
- Advised on saving stamp duty land tax of £115,000 on a purchase of just over £2m.
- Restructured a family investment group into one operating entity whilst preserving valuable investment losses.
- Set up a complex VAT arrangement with customers and suppliers for an online market place to avoid the obligations of cross border VAT reporting.
- Successfully defended clients against numerous inquiries including challenges of failure to register for VAT with published turnover over the VAT registration threshold.
- Secured Capital Allowances on building for a charity equivalent to around 80% of the purchase price – without having to negotiate an increase in the purchase price
- Structured and financed the successful incorporation of an investor’s property portfolio to reduce tax liabilities and create funding for further property projects
- Stuart is keen sportsman and plays: tennis, golf and, when younger, rugby.
- He has been Treasurer of Ealing Trailfinders Rugby Club and chair of the Brentham Club – a multi-sports and social country club in West London.
- Stuart is married with two teenage boys.